- Stayed awake once for 34 hours; stayed up more than 24 hours multiple times.
- I've had to change for work in my school or clinical site's bathroom; I've changed into my student nursing scrubs at my job and go to clinicals.
- I've worked and/or school for more than 24 hours straight.
- Certain nights of the week I would only get two hours of sleep.
- I installed a clothing rod in my minivan; it always contains a set of casual clothes, a set of work clothes, a set of work scrubs, a set of professional clothes, a lab coat, and a set of clean nursing student white scrubs.
- I have a milk crate filled with soda and juice boxes in my van.
- I've slept for 3 hours in my van between classes and/or school and work.
If you're considering getting into nursing for the money, I've got this advice for you: find a new reason. I'd pay $60,000 a year not to have to go through this! Don't consider this whining or bitching though. I'm reminded of a quote from Lucy McLane from Live Free or Die Hard:
"...Just take a minute and dig deep for a bigger set of balls, 'cause you're gonna need 'em before we're through."